There is a dark cloud of despair and disease looming round the world at present. There is fear written all over on the faces of the many people trying to go about life in a normal manner. The corona virus has spread fear like never before and rightfully so. This is considered to be one of the most life-threatening diseases the human kind has ever faced. It is important to get all the required information on this ‘dark’ disease so that you are better prepared to tackle this.
What is Corona virus?
The first step is to know what this ‘corona virus’ is. This is a virus which is found in animals but in rare cases can be transmitted to humans. This family of corona viruses can lead to different illness like the common cold and the MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) or SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome). The COVID – 19 is a new type of corona virus which emerged in China in 2019. It is important to know the symptoms of this virus to be able to tackle it.
Symptoms of the Corona Virus:
The most common symptoms of the COVID -19 is cough, fatigue, fever and shortness of breath or any difficulty in breathing. Those who have underlying conditions can develop serious symptoms, like bronchitis or pneumonia. There are chances of even not developing any symptoms after you are exposed to this virus.
Causes of Corona Virus:
Humans tend to get infected with the corona virus with direct contact with animals that have this virus. This can then be transmitted from human to human. The COVID – 19 can easily spread through the contact with some bodily fluids like the cough droplets. This can also be caused by touching anything which has been touched by a person infected.
Complications possible with the Corona Virus:
Researchers have observed specific complications with those affected by COVID – 19.
*Irregular Heart Rate (arrhythmia)
*ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome)
*heart damage or heart attack
*Severe muscle pain (myalgia)
Precautions for Corona Virus:
At present there is no vaccine for corona virus so it is important to take certain precautions to ensure you do not catch this virus. Here we list some of the precautions to be taken for avoiding this dreadful disease.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid being in close proximity with those who are sick. It is important to maintain a distance of a minimum three feet from the sick or even from those who are sneezing or coughing.
- Cover your sneeze or cough with a tissue and discard this tissue safely.
- Avoid going out when you are feeling sick.
- Objects which are frequently touched need to be cleaned and disinfected with a regular cleaning spray.
- There is no need of wearing a mask unless you are the care taker of an infected person. It is recommended by the CDC (Center of Disease Control) that only those who are infected with the corona virus need to wear a mask so that there is no danger of spreading this disease.
- Wash your hands with clean water and soap often for a minimum of 20 seconds. This is more so before eating your meals, after going to the bathroom, after sneezing or coughing and also after blowing your nose.
- Seek medical attention immediately if you have any fever, cough or find it difficult to breathe.
- Strictly follow the travel advisory set by the Health and Welfare Ministry.
Isolation and Corona Virus:
With the spread of the corona virus infection worldwide different measures are being adapted to put a stop to this infection. In case you have COVID – 19 which is confirmed but do not need immediate medical attention, it is advisable to adopt self-isolation. This means, you need to separate yourself from others so that you can get better without infecting another person. Medical experts also advise isolation or quarantine for those who are only showing symptoms of the COVID – 19.
This works out to be an effective method for slowing down the spread of the virus. Self-isolation slows down the rate of serious complications.
The best way to ensure you are not infected with the COVID – 19 is to ensure your immunity is boosted to the highest level.
*Live life sans any stress. The stress hormones produced by our body during stress can bring down your immunity. You can try meditation and yoga to get rid of stress. You can also plan on breaks and relax with a book or a good movie.
*Ensure you consume a balanced and nutritious diet with additional fruits and vegetables. Try staying away from all those junk foods you like to indulge in.
* Sleep deprivation is one major cause of a low immunity. You need to get your beauty sleep and enough of this to ensure your immunity is up to the mark.
*Go for a walk or probably, a swim. This exercise is equally important for your immunity. A stagnant life style can be the cause of multiple ailments.
Corona Virus Pandemic:
As COVID – 19 has been declared a pandemic by the WHO (World Health Organization) you have a lot of panic and anxiety among the general public. Working from home, schools shut down and the empty shelves in the grocery stores have only added to the fears. Dealing with this level of anxiety and stress is tough on any individual, but remember, you are not alone. You have the whole world going through a similar situation.
It is important not to get overly obsessed with the media. News is important only to a certain extent. In short, minimize your exposure to the news. This can only increase the fear and anxiety.
You can make the required changes in your routine and ensure you stick to this. Focus on things which are under your control like washing your hands, keeping your loved ones safe and minimizing your trips in the malls.